Municipal Districts Map
Municipal Council consists of 12 elected Councillors representing a population of 21,177. Elections are held on a 4 year basis; the next one will take place in October, 2024. Council chooses its own Warden by ballot. A similar process is used to elect a Deputy Warden.
Council meetings are held on a monthly basis, on the first Monday of each month. In the event of a holiday, Council meets on the Tuesday immediately following the first Monday. Meetings are held in the Council Chambers which is located on the 2nd floor of the Municipal Administration Building, 46 Municipal Drive, Pictou. Council meetings begin at 7:00 p.m. and the public is welcome to attend.
Council has 5 standing committees. They are:
- Committee of the Whole: A working forum for discussion on items that otherwise could not be discussed during a regular Council meeting.
- Executive Committee: Responsible for matters relating to community economic development, emergency measures, and human resources/personnel.
- Financial Services: Responsible for all financial matters, recreation, by-laws & policies, agreements, easements, leases and other legal matters.
- Property Services: Responsible for matters relating to central sewer & water services, by-law enforcement, building inspection, dog control, maintenance of municipal-owned property, 9-1-1 civic addressing.
- Audit Committee: Responsible to provide advice to Council on matters srelating to audit and finance, including ensuring the adequacy & effectiveness of financial reporting, risk management & internal controls.
- Ad Hoc committees are appointed as necessary to address a specific topic. Once the task is completed, the committee is dissolved.